ChoicePlus - Mortgage & Finance Brokers
is a very personal small business - run as a partnership and solely operated by myself with the help of my wife Theresia. I am Gert Harry Grondowski, many of my friends call me Harry, others use my German first name Gert. Born in Germany in January 1960, I migrated to Australia in 1986 to manage a major furniture business. From 1989 until 2000 I operated various businesses in Asia, mainly in Indonesia and Singapore. Upon my return to Australia, I was able to undertake full-time study and to re-invent myself. From 2001 until 2004 I completed an Asian Studies / International Trade (Hons) double degree.
In 2005 I embarked on a PhD at the University of Melbourne and set up 'ChoicePlus - Mortgage and Finance Brokers' believing that any business (and any home buyer in general) would substantially benefit from the collaboration with a truly independent finance broker, who understands business as well as finance. Over these last 10 years my work has been guided by this believe - focusing on how to best make the banks work for my clients.
Since 2008 the finance market in Australia has changed, competition among the banks is significantly reduced and their profit margins have increased. I believe that in this environment a truly independent finance broker is needed more than ever to uphold some level of competition and find the best possible deal and structure for the client. True independence is the key, especially since the major brokerage franchises such as Aussie, Rams or Mortgage Choice now belong to Banks and others are linked to real estate agencies, accountants or financial planners. I believe that these collaborations present a possible 'conflict of interest' which may result in biased outcomes. Consequently, although being a fully qualified financial planner myself, I purely work as mortgage and finance broker and do not engage in professional investment advice to avoid such conflict of interest.
Strengths: truly independent adviser with strong business, finance & academic expertise.
Specialist Adviser (ASIC RG146 compliant) for :
- Self Managed Super Funds (SMSF)
- Margin Lending
- Commerial Lending
Weaknesses: prolonged overseas periods, sometimes 6-8 weeks. I try to mitigate the effects these overseas periods by keeping the website current and posting my overseas details.
- 2004 Bachelor of Arts (Asian Studies)
- 2004 Bachelor of Business (Hons) (International Trade)
- 2005 Certificate IV in Business (Small Business Management)
- 2005 Certificate IV in Financial Services (Finance/Mortgage Broking)
- 2005 Diploma in Financial Services (Financial Planning)
- 2012 Diploma in Financial Services (Finance/Mortgage Broking)
- 2014 RG146 Specialist - Self Managed Superfunds (SMSF)
- 2014 RG146 Specialist - Margin Lending
- Asian Language Award
- Asian Studies Award
- Alexander McKenzie Scovell Award
- Australian Post-Graduate Award
- Endeavour Award
- MFAA - Mortgage & Finance Association of Australia
- COSL - Credit Ombudsman Service Limited
- AIB - Academy of International Business
- AFG - Australian Finance Group